As part of the Introduction to Games Design module, we have been given a brief to design a game in a group. At the beginning of today’s session, we were put into groups. My group consists of Phil Maclennan, Jason Pook and Viktor. Once we had settled into the group, we were tasked with picking three themes from a bucket. The idea behind the brief is that we have to use the three themes picked to create a game. The themes we picked were “Haunted/Ghosts, Musical Instruments and In Alaska”.
After a brief period of deliberating on the route that we should go down with the game, we have come up with what we believe to be a fairly decent theme. The idea is that Alexander Borodin, a famous Russian composer, moved away to Alaska at the end of his career and is mysteriously murdered. The player character is a spiritualist looking to exorcise his house, which has remained haunted to the present day. The objective of the game is to soothe the spirit of Borodin by locating manuscripts of his most famous piece, Prince Igor, then playing them in the haunted areas of the house with different instruments that can be found in the house.
As soon as we came up with this basic premise, we all split up to work on our individual contributions. You can find everybody else’s contributions on their blogs, which I shall link to as the posts become available.
As I am particularly interested in the designing and modelling of objects and props, I decided that I would start working on the instruments themselves. I first of all listened to the piece to identify which instruments were being played (with the help of Viktor, who has studied a music course previously). We were able to identify a piccolo flute, a clarinet, a piano and a violin. This gave us a good starting point for some rough sketches, which you can see below.
After this, I set out to model the piccolo flute. This was the most time consuming aspect (it took me a fair few hours to get all the details right), and I still was not 100% happy with the finished product, which you can see below.
I modeled the flute in SketchUp, then coloured and “inked” on Photoshop. As I am not happy with how the “inking” turned out, I intend to redo this.