3D Realisation – Modelling a Random Object

To start off the second semester tasks within 3D Realisation, we were tasked with modelling an object at random. To select the object that we would be modelling, we would draw cards which corresponded with a given model. The object that I selected at random was a Hairdryer. I have taken a few photographs of the hairdryer, as shown below.

2014-02-03 13.27.58 2014-02-03 13.27.26 2014-02-03 13.27.36 2014-02-03 13.27.51

Initially, I thought this would be a fairly difficult task. Hairdryers are usually shaped in a very specific way (I would imagine this has something to do with making it work properly, although I could be wrong). First of all. I attempted to get the very basic shape. The first attempt that I made is the image you can see below.

1st Hairdryer Main Body Attempt

1st Hairdryer Main Body Attempt

The main body was created out of a cylinder. After I dropped the cylinder in, I was able to manipulate the cylinder in such a way that was concaved and elongated at specific points. This was simply done by selecting a row of polygons at a time and either adjusting their scale or moving them along the Y Axis to stretch them out.

After this, I decided to make an attempt at adding a handle. You can see how this turned out below.

2nd Hairdryer Attempt with Handle

2nd Hairdryer Attempt with Handle

The handle was fairly simple to produce. It was a much smaller cylinder which I first of all stretched out on the Y Axis as the reference hairdryer had more of an oval shaped handle. I then created space for the switches of the hairdryer by first of all extruding the polygons that were required for this section. Once I did this, I inset the selection of the extruded polygons so that we could leave a “border” around the area. Then I extruded the polygons within the inset selection by a slightly smaller amount so as to add some depth to this area, as per the reference object.

As you can see, I also started to model the area in which the plug cable comes out from. This was achieved by extruding from the end of the cylinder and scaling this down to create a base at which the start of this plug could sit. I then extruded once more to create a smaller cylinder to come out of the end of it. To get the desired effect of a cable coming out of this, I extruded the edges around the bottom of the new, smaller cylinder out a touch and altered the scale to my taste.

Finally, I merged both these shapes together and added some “cable” and switches, which you can see in the image below.

Final Hairdryer with Cable and Switches

Final Hairdryer with Cable and Switches

The cable was achieved by extruding a very thin cylinder and rotating the bottom face before extruding again to get the cable bend effect. I also rounded off the back of the hairdryer out as per the reference object.

Overall, this was a very interesting and fun exercise to do. It definitely helps to model an object from observation and this is something I will be looking to do on a more regular basis.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in 3D Realisation, 3DS Max and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s